If you have gone fishing at least once in your lifetime, you need no explanation about the importance of a fly rod holder. But those who have just bought their dream boat and after enough of surface business (touring) are planning to deal with the underwater residents (fishes) must prepare well. By preparing I mean carrying the necessary materials like bait, rod and obviously a rod holder. A rod holder is urgent because it’s not possible for a person to handle the reel with hands all the time. A rod holder will allow you to free your hands. Besides, it provides enough support against a big fish or any other obstacle as well as secures the rod. And mounting multiple fly rod holders enables one to use multiple reels. Without a rod holder, you are more likely to lose your reel and you have to rig up every time you change location which is really annoying.
Finding the best Product
The parameters for choosing a product vary person to person. The ideal model for you may be a nightmare for another person. However, if you investigate your conditions and requirements before making the purchase, you will not be frustrated. Things to look out for includes-
- Type of your rod: Rods may be of several types like fly, spinning and casting rod. Whereas some rod holders can accommodate any type of rod, most are specific. If you are using a fly rod, you should buy a fly rod holder.
- Type of vehicle: Though rod holders are not that much vehicle specific, still you should check that. For instance, Magnetic rod holders can not be mounted on vehicles without any metal surface.
- The number of rods you want to carry.
- The amount of stress to be tolerated by the holder.
- To get a reliable product, buy from a reputed manufacturer.
- The material of the rod holder along with its weight and size.
- Finally, you must check the price of the specific product. Buying an extravagant one may be a burden for you.
This is very helpful while fishing alone. Mounting this Scotty Fly Rod Holder will let you enjoy hands free trolling. It has No. 241 combination deck or side mounting bracket. The dimension is 10 x 5 x 3 inches and it weighs 14.4 ounces. Besides this is a very well designed and nice looking rod holder. It can securely hold the rod during resting and trolling. The rod holder has a rubber part which is mainly for transporting it safely. This product is manufactured by SCOTTY Manufacturer.
- This product is absolutely inexpensive.
- It includes a safety strap for increased security.
- Can accommodate both right and left-handed reels.
- Made of corrosion resistant materials that increase its durability.
- Fully adjustable and almost any sized freshwater fly rod can be snugly fitted.
- The 241 side deck mount facilitates the installment of the deck mount in two possible positions.
- Surprisingly, still no problems have been found associated with this fly rod holder.
You are not going to grasp your reel all day and keep on fishing. Need a drinks break? Let Smith Creek Rod Clip hold your rod while you get your hands free for anything. Unlike most other fly rod holders, it is very compact and small. It protects the rod butt and fly reel from the sand, mud or saltwater, but its existence is hardly felt because of its lightness. This product is made in New Zealand.
- Holds rods of different sizes.
- So tiny and light that you won’t know it’s there until you use it.
- The rod can be easily taken in or out, but the rod never knocks free.
- This is attached to a custom zinger which can be hooked up with a jacket, shirt or vest.
- Anodized marine-grade aluminum and UV-resistant material make it sturdy and durable.
- The price is pretty high.
- People often find the pin attached with it substandard.
True that Smith Creek Rod Clip is expensive, but it is invaluable when you need your hands free to change flies, tie a knot or anything else. Besides it provides excellent support while fishing or travelling. So, if you don’t want to lose your fly rod, start using this one as early as possible.
The Caddis Sports Rod Holder is designed for pontoon boats and float tubes and can accommodate most fly, spinning and casting rods. The adjustable webbing strap easily locks into desired position and the quick disconnect buckle enables easy and quick attachment. The dimension of this rod holder is 4 x 3 x 8 inches and the weight is 9.6 ounces. It is manufactured in USA.
- It rotates and easily locks into the right position.
- The body is smooth and has no sharp edges, so it’s not going to punch a hole in your float tube.
- Though it is mainly made for pontoon boats and float tubes, it can be used in kayaks and canoes too.
- Made of Polypropylene/ polyethylene material and the adjustable strap has nylon web for durability.
- The holder doesn’t hold the rod very securely and sometimes become loose.
Overall, Caddis Sports Rod Holder is quite reliable. But as it loses the grip sometimes, you should tether your rod with the boat for extra security.
Magnetic and Patented Vacuum on Demand (VOD) Principles of Vac Rac External Magnetic Rod Rack ensures secure attachment of your rods and reels with your boat when travelling in the water. Most rods including fly rods can be incorporated in it. It weighs 1.7 pounds and the dimension is 3 x 7 x 7 inches.
- Its magnetic base allows it to stick to any flat steel surface.
- And it is strong, lightweight and durable. It has been proven to hold more than 200lbs in tests.
- The bottoms of this holder being rubberized, it doesn’t leave any mark on the surface of the vehicle.
- The magnets are highly strong, so it can endure long, speedy journeys and stay exactly in the spot where you place them.
- Firstly it gives you a safe place to mount the rod during fishing or journey and also gives easy access to the rod when needed.
- As it is a magnetic rack, it won’t work if your vehicle has no metal portion.
So, Vac Rac External Magnetic Rod Rack is different than most other products in its use of magnet. It is a very user-compliant and convenient rod holder providing extra flexibility. However do not buy this if your vehicle has no metal section or your money will be wasted.
A fly rod holder is a fundamental tool for fishing purpose. Once you start using it, you can feel the difference- security, flexibility and saving of time. But it is also important to buy the suitable one as every rod holder is not going to be perfect for your rod and your vehicle. So do research and then purchase the desired one.