Kayak is a water vehicle. Though kayak has nothing to do with the highways, it often needs to travel miles before getting into water. So a dedicated kayak rack is essential if you don’t want to get your boat wasted. It is not literally possible to accommodate a kayak inside a car unless it’s a huge lorry. So rooftop is the best option here. You can transport your boat quite safely if you mount the right Kayak rack over your car roof.
Choosing the best Kayak Rack
To get the best product, you have to consider the following aspects:
- What is your budget?
- How much stress will your carrier have to deal with?
- The type and model of your kayak.
- Your vehicle and crossbar design.
- The number of kayaks you want to carry.
- The specific features you prefer in your desired rack.
However, remember that even the best product may not be the best match for you- lot depends on the conditions you are in. My advice will be- be discerning while choosing and be patient while assembling and watch out for your affordability.
Below are some Kayak racks suitable for SUV you can look out for.
TMS 2 Pairs J-Bar Rack HD Kayak Carrier is a cheap and simple carrier for your kayak. It can securely hold the kayak for a long distance. It is manufactured by T-Motorsports, located at Pomona in USA. The dimension is 17.5 x 12 x 6.5 inches and the weight is 15.2 pounds. It can board kayaks up to 36″ wide and 75 lbs.
Compatibility is satisfactory. Even if you find any problem fitting your kayak- which is not aberrant as different kayaks have different dimensions- you can always add custom brackets for exact adjustment.
- The price is low.
- Being rust resistant, it is durable.
- A major benefit of this product is it takes less space.
- Wide mouth J Bar also facilitates easy loading and unloading of the kayak.
- Product quality is not very standard.
- The metal is cheap and poorly coated.
- There are some complains regarding the assembly.
Finally, it’s not really a high end product. But it’s a good deal at a low price. The problem with assembly can be solved with a wrench. If you are not willing to spend too much for a kayak rack but still expecting decent service, I recommend this one for you.
It is very much similar to the above mentioned rack. But unlike the previous one, it comes in 1 pair. It includes 2 straps and all the associated mounting tools. TMS J-Bar Rack HD Kayak Carrier is a J style carrier and as a result it leaves enough roof space. It is also manufactured by T-Motorsports. For kayak protection, it has adjustable paddle.
It weighs 8 pounds and the volume is 18 x 7 x 7 inches. Kayaks up to 36″ wide and 75 pounds can be boarded in this carrier. It also fits almost all available crossbars excluding a few exceptions.
- The price is reasonable.
- It leaves enough roof space.
- Wide mouth J bar allows smooth loading and unloading.
- Due to the presence of quick on-off hardware, it can be rapidly installed and removed whenever necessary.
- This product has some issues regarding the parts (tubes,bolt, nuts etc).
- Assembly of the parts is sometimes problematic and you may have to buy extra bolts for that.
So,it’s pretty cheap and as a result comes up with mediocre materials. Apart from some flaws, this is a first class product for a low budget.
2 Pairs Universal J-bar Kayak Carrier is a very easy solution for those who are facing troubles carrying their Kayaks a long distance. Cheap, Simple, secure and durable- all you can expect from a product. The dimension is 17.5 x 12 x 6.5 inches and the weight is 16.8 pounds. Quick on/off hardware makes installation and removal faster. It is also rust resistant and so does not get eroded quickly.
- It fits almost all aftermarket and factory crossbars.
- Loading and unloading is easier because of the wide mouth J Bar.
- As it occupies less space, you can fit multiple pairs of them on your vehicle.
- The rack is made of Heavy duty steel and rubber and is shock resistant and long lasting.
- You often have to buy extra straps for securing your kayak; this rack alone doesn’t suffice.
- This product however has some issues with assembly- though the individual parts look fine, the brackets sometimes do not assemble properly.
Despite a few flaws, after you give some efforts dealing with those, you are allowed to roam around without bothering about your Kayak’s safety. So it’s a really good deal taking into account the price, performance, and durability.
Inno Easy Mount Dual Kayak Carrier is a garage friendly carrier as it has a low height and can be folded when not in use. It includes two sets of cradles for housing two kayaks, and pads and straps to protect the boats as well as to bind them tightly so that they remain in place even during shaky journeys.
It comes in a dimension of 26 x 8 x 10 inches and a weight of 12 pounds. It is very easy to install and use. The price is also decent comparing to the service it provides. Again you may sometimes find it difficult to properly adjust your kayak as Kayaks highly vary in their dimensions. All you have to do is a little bit work and use your brain – and things will be fine.
- It’s low height is a plus point
- The Inno Carrier can attach to any type of SUV crossbar.
- As it can accommodate two kayaks together, you need not buy an extra rack and can save money.
- They are tested in most intensive conditions like UV ray exposure, high speed tracks etc and are quite successful
- If your bar is round, you need to buy an adaptor which is often a hassle.
- Your crossbars have to be less than 1.2″ in diameter, otherwise it won’t fit.
Lastly, Inno kayak carrier is of high quality material, protective, durable and cheap. So if you are confused what to buy, try this one and you won’t regret.
Apontus Universal Kayak Roof Rack comes in 2 pairs and includes 4 straps. It is steel made and for kayak protection and convenient carrying owns adjustable padding. It’s unique design ensures easy loading and transportation together with enough space for other racks or boats.
The dimension is 17.5 x 12 x 6.5 inches and the weight is 16 pounds. Kayaks up to 36” can be accommodated. Maximum load capacity is 75 pounds.
- Has quick on-off hardware for swift installation and removal.
- It fits most crossbars including OEM crossbars (upto 2.5″ wide and 1″ thick).
- It maintains enough width between the mounting bolts even for the chunky cross bars.
- Hand knobs make it a little insecure.
- Bars thicker than 1″ cannot be properly mounted.
About the price- it couldn’t be any lower. Really a great deal with respect to the quality and service. You can carry your kayak a long distance without worrying about your boat. User reviews are very positive and so you can buy this one without much of concerns.
Finally, if you are a regular kayaker and don’t live by a water body, you have to eventually buy a rack for carrying your boat. And the rack must be able to withstand the odds of a voyage. I have already reviewed some of the carriers which are considerable based on the price, performance and reliability. Now it’s entirely upto you. Good luck .